Recognizing that climate change, clean and efficient energy and environmental protection are among the biggest challenges facing India and the United States; the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India through its Solar Energy Research Initiative, and the Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF) are committed to tackling these issues by building capacity in these frontier areas.
To nurture future innovators and thought leaders in Solar Energy, the Bhaskara Advanced Solar Energy (BASE) Fellowship Program - a dynamic and transformative program has been developed to foster contacts between students and scientists from India and the United States.
- To provide an opportunity to the best and brightest Indian students and scientists to gain exposure and access to world class research facilities in leading U.S. institutions;
- To promote research and capacity building in the frontline area of Solar Energy to address India-centric issues;
- To encourage and motivate outstanding students to take up research as a career path in the field of solar energy; and
- To pave the way for the next generation scientists and technologists from India to interact with American peers, thus helping to build long-term R&D linkages and collaborations.
For Student Internships
- Indian citizens currently pursuing a Ph.D. as full time scholars in the field of Solar Energy, in a public-funded R&D Laboratory/S&T institution (non-private)/recognized academic institute (University/College) in India;
- Age: Upto 32 years as on 31 December 2016
- Indian citizens with a Ph.D. in Science, Engineering or Technology
- Applicants must provide proof of independent research work in internationally recognized academic journals.
- Open only to applicants working in the field of Solar Energy
- Age: Upto 40 years as on 31 December 2016
- A permanent position in a public-funded R&D Laboratory/S&T institution (non-private)/recognized academic institute (University/College) in India.
Due preference will be given to research aimed at addressing India-centric issues related to Solar Energy.
Place of work
The applicant should have a letter of acceptance from a reputed U.S. scientific/technological institution where he/she would like to undertake the research work under the Fellowship/Internship.
Number of Fellowships
- Student Internships 7
- Fellowships 7
Note: The above numbers are tentative and can be increased, decreased or inter-changed in either category at the discretion of DST and IUSSTF.
- Monthly Stipend
- Return Air-fare
- Contingency allowance
- Internship: Minimum 3 months and upto 6 months
- Fellowship: Minimum 3 months and upto 12 months
BASE 2016 Awardees (click here)
BASE 2015 Awardees (click here)
BASE 2014 Awardees (click here)
Applications should be submitted using our Online Application Portal for Visitation Programs. Hard copies and electronic copies of the application forms will not be accepted.
Click here for Online application submission for Internships
Click here for Online application submission for fellowship
Submission Deadline: 15 March 2017
For program information contact:
Dr. Nishritha Bopana
Indo-U.S. Science and Technology Forum
12, Hailey Road
New Delhi - 110001